Prepping for Your End of Summer White Party
Posted on 29 August 2016
I can't believe it, but Labor weekend is just around corner signaling the unofficial end of summer and the transition to fall. While us Floridians will continue to wear white all year round (hey, it just works), most of the country will be painting the town white one final time. The end of summer is the ultimate excuse to host a chic white party.
Get your friends excited and set the tone of your event with an outstanding invitation. Since there isn't much time left to get invitations printed and organized, try an online e-mail invitation like Paperless Post. Amongst the hundreds of options, you can find an invitation that will allow you to get your theme across and share all of the details of your event -- will it be all white? Or just mostly white? Potluck or will you be preparing everything?
Next, it is time to plan your menu if you will be hosting the event. Serving all white foods could prove a little challenging, so you need to decide if just the highlight items (drinks, dessert, etc.) will be themed or if you really want to try to have all white food. Also when planning your menu, keep in mind that your attendees will be wearing all white, so stay away from the messy dishes if possible.
THE DRINK - White Wine Sangria
This delicious sangria by The Lemon Bowl is perfect for this white gathering. This simple, quick, make-ahead beverage is sure to be a hit!
- Ginger simple syrup (1 cup of water, 1/2 cup sugar, 6 inch piece of ginger chopped)
- 2 bottles of a dry white wine - either a Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay
- 1 cup fresh or store-bought orange juice
- 1/2 cup of lime juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 24 ounces of ginger beer
- Orange, lemon and lime slices for garnish
- Make the ginger simple syrup. Place the water, sugar and ginger in a small pot and bring to a boil. Bring it down to a simmer and stir for 60 seconds (or until the sugar is fully dissolved). Remove from heat, but leave the ginger to infuse as the syrup cools.
- Place the white wine in a large pitcher and add the orange, lime and lemon juices.
- Once the syrup has cooled, strain the ginger and add the syrup to the pitcher. Stir well and place in the fridge for 4 hours to overnight.
- Garnish with lemon, lime and orange slices.
- To serve, pour the mixture over ice 3/4 full and top each glass with ginger beer before serving.
THE DESSERT - Champagne Cupcakes
No party is complete with out dessert. Isn't that why we go to parties in the first place. This amazing dessert from Life, Love and Sugar will wow your friends and family for this event.
- 1 2/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp champagne
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4-5 tbsp champagne
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and powder.
- Add your wet ingredients (butter, egg whites, vanilla, sour cream & champagne) and mix on a medium speed.
- Fill your cupcake pan with cupcake liners (white!) and fill each liner a little more than halfway.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare your icing.
- Combine butter and shortening and mix until smooth.
- Add 2 cups of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the champagne and mix until combined and smooth.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- When cupcakes are finished, allow them to cool before topping with the icing.
(Follow Life, Life and Sugar on Pinterest or Instagram)
Planning the decor for a white party doesn't have to be difficult--luckily the theme is taken care of for you. It is just deciding where the party will be and creating a decor based on that location. White paper lanterns and strings of white lights will take the party from bland to chic without much thought. For table florals, stick with white roses, white hydrangeas or white orchids. To take the party over the top, you can never go wrong with outdoor white couches and a big white tent! Spend a little time scrolling through Pinterest for more ideas!
Finally and obviously the most important will be planning your outfit for this event. You need to decide if the white sundress is more your style or a white top with a classic white pair of pants. Take the look up a notch with a bright accessory --try the Carol Dauplaise Coral Necklace or go with the Mellow World White Rainbow Clutch for a touch of classic white with a bold addition of color.
In less than a week, you will pull off the party of season!