Destination weddings are thrilling for the bride and groom, and can be equally exhilarating when you receive your wedding invitation and become involved in the occasion. It’s a win-win scenario; you get to go on vacation and watch your loved ones come together. What could be better?
Whether you’re attending a beach wedding in the near future or you’re preparing for a potential invitation, understanding proper beach wedding attire is essential. Planning out your outfit in advance can ensure your comfort, style, and respect toward the bride and groom (especially if they have a dress code in place.)
Not sure how to dress for the wedding? We’ve got you covered. Here’s what to wear to a beach wedding as a guest:
How to Choose Beach Wedding Outfits
Before you can start shopping and packing, consider the following tips and tricks for going about your destination wedding guest dress or ensemble:
- Follow the dress code. Most couples will provide a dress code or general list of expectations and suggestions for beach wedding attire for men and women. Keep these recommendations in mind when you start your search for the perfect outfit.
- Think about your style preferences. Personal style allows you to express yourself, and formal events are the perfect occasion to let your flair shine.
- Consider the weather. Beach and summer weddings in general tend to get hot. Dress with the weather in mind to ensure you remain comfortable throughout the ceremony and into the reception. Lightweight fabrics are your best friend on the beach.
- Prioritize comfort. Weather shouldn’t be the only factor kept in mind when it comes to comfort. Wear breathable fabrics that make you feel just as good as you look.
Beach Wedding Attire for Guests
Finding the right ensemble for the wedding should revolve around mostly your personal style. Whether you prefer dresses, skirts and blouses or a jumpsuit-style outfit, there are plenty of options out there for you to choose from. Here are some of our suggestions for beach wedding guest outfits based on your style:
Dresses to Wear to a Beach Wedding
Dresses are the easiest option for a wedding, whether it’s on the beach or inside a venue. Here are some beach wedding guest dresses to consider:
- Sundress. A sundress makes the ideal casual dressy wear for a summer wedding, as they’re cute and breathable for warm weather. Whether you're a fan of floral prints or basic colors, you can’t go wrong with a flowy sleeveless dress.
- Maxi dress. A maxi dress is perfect for someone who wants to cover their legs and elongate their figure for the wedding. This is another casual option that you can put on at the start of the day and wear throughout the ceremony and reception.
- Cocktail dress. If you’re looking for a more formal option for the beach wedding, you can pull off a cocktail dress. This option is great for a wedding ceremony that proceeds to a cocktail bar or other fancy establishment.
Other Dressy Casual Options to Consider
If wearing a dress isn’t quite your style, you have other outfit options to choose from. Consider:
- A blouse and skirt. It’s easy to dress up a sleeved shirt when it’s paired with a flowing skirt. Consider this option if you want to set yourself apart from other wedding guests who will likely be wearing sundresses.
- A Jumpsuit or romper. If dresses and skirts don’t flow with your personal preferences, a jumpsuit or romper can offer a sophisticated touch to typical wedding guest attire.
Shoes For Beach Weddings
In most cases, you can take your shoes off for the ceremony on the beach. Or, the bride and groom will provide a pair of rubber flip flops to slide on while they tie the knot. For the rest of your time at the beach wedding, consider these shoe options:
- Dressy sandals. Whether you prefer flat footed shoes or a pair of chunky wedges, there are dozens of different types of dressy sandals that make great accessories for a beach wedding.
- Open toe shoes. Show off your fresh pedicure with a pair of open toe shoes. If you’re not a fan of sandals or wedges, ballet-style shoes or flats can be useful in this scenario.
Even though beach weddings have a reputation for being on the casual side, you should still be conscious of your shoe style in advance. Picking too casual of a shoe can take away from the beauty of your outfit and make it difficult to find cohesion in your beach look.
What Not to Wear
Remember: The bride and groom may provide a dress code that makes it easier to pick your outfit for the wedding. These options may be acceptable in certain instances, but typically should be avoided for a wedding on the beach:
- Cheap flip flops
- High heels
- Sneakers or tennis shoes
- Anything in white
- Cotton t-shirts
It’s also important to avoid formal attire. Most beach weddings are designed to be relaxing and casual, so there’s no need to wear a gown or seersucker suit.
Find What You Need at Anthony’s Ladies Apparel
No matter what kind of beach wedding attire you’re searching for, Anthony’s Ladies Apparel can assist. Our collection of dresses, blouses, skirts and jumpsuits are suitable for destination and summer weddings so you can look good and feel good in the warm weather.Check out our chic resort dresses and other apparel today.